Hello! Welcome to my personal website. I am an award-winning researcher, teacher, and Professor in Digital Humanities and Game Studies at the University of Alberta’s Departments of Modern Languages and Cultural Studies, and Digital Humanities. My research interests are:
- Digital Media Culture, with a specific emphasis on:
- Electronic literature: digital-born fictions and poetry; literary games; medium-specific narratology and multimodal analysis; feminist approaches to e-lit; empirical reader-response research; “writing new bodies” and digital-born bibliotherapy; young people’s e-literature; e-lit curatorship
- Videogame studies: literary gaming; metagames; the language(s)/discourse(s) of gaming; life formation games; ludonarratologies
- Theories of gender and the body
- Language in the media: videogame discourses; metalanguage; language ideologies (e.g. videogames, online fandom, and Wikipedia)
- Specialized language corpora: gamer language (GameCorp); see also past projects: written learner language (WHiG); Early Modern German newspapers (GerManC); Language in the Media.
On this website you’ll find an up-to-date list of my publications, as well as some select information on courses I’ve taught, research projects I’ve been running and some of my external activities. My full CV can be found here: ensslin_cv.