Hello! Welcome to my personal website. I am an award-winning researcher, teacher, and Professor in Digital Humanities and Game Studies at the University of Alberta, and Director of Media and Technology Studies. My research interests are:
- Digital Media Culture, with a specific emphasis on:
- Electronic literature: digital-born fictions and poetry; literary games; pre-web e-lit; medium-specific narratology and multimodal analysis; feminist and applied approaches to e-lit; empirical reader/player response research; body image and digital-born bibliotherapy; e-lit curatorship
- Videogame studies: literary gaming; metagames; the language(s)/discourse(s) of gaming; life formation games; ludonarratologies
- Theories of gender and the body
- Language in the media: videogame discourses; metalanguage; language ideologies (e.g. videogames, online fandom, and Wikipedia); critical sociolinguistics; gender and language
- Specialized language corpora: gamer language (GameCorp); see also past projects: written learner language (WHiG); Early Modern German newspapers (GerManC); Language in the Media.
On this website you’ll find an up-to-date list of my publications, as well as some information on courses I’ve taught, research projects I’ve been running and some of my external activities. My institutional homepage is here, and my full CV here.
To read about my reflections and my ongoing work, follow me on Twitter @AstridEnsslin.